Kitchen Floors First Look
They're a bit dusty and they're only about 3/4 done, but the kitchen floors are under way... I'm usually pretty bad at taking "during" pictures, so figured I'd post some. Much kudos to our teenage son who did most of the hard "on the floor" work while I measured, cut and otherwise "supervised"
It's "rigid vinyl plank" flooring. A fairly recent entrant. Ours came in 7" x 48" planks that "click and lock" like Pergo and such, but are fully 100% waterproof - a huge consideration in a kitchen/living area. (Pergo and their ilk do quite poorly if they get wet).
Yeah, I know... My first reaction when someone suggested 'vinyl' floors was "NFW!"
But this is not your father's vinyl floor. It's neither 'sheet' vinyl, nor the old stick-down tiles. It doesn't look fake and shiny and nasty. Not gonna fool anyone it's real wood, but I think it's probably a better 'replicant' of it than the old click-lock floors.
Although ceramic would have been about the same (or even a hair cheaper)... for a variety of reasons that was a "no." The main reason is the only ceramic we really liked was the 'long plank' look, and those are somewhat notorious for cracking if you have ANY give in your subfloor. Plus... I really, really, really hate laying ceramic tile. Plus the grout ALWAYS ends up stained and discolored which ALWAYS pisses me off. So no ceramic.
It's "rigid vinyl plank" flooring. A fairly recent entrant. Ours came in 7" x 48" planks that "click and lock" like Pergo and such, but are fully 100% waterproof - a huge consideration in a kitchen/living area. (Pergo and their ilk do quite poorly if they get wet).
Yeah, I know... My first reaction when someone suggested 'vinyl' floors was "NFW!"
But this is not your father's vinyl floor. It's neither 'sheet' vinyl, nor the old stick-down tiles. It doesn't look fake and shiny and nasty. Not gonna fool anyone it's real wood, but I think it's probably a better 'replicant' of it than the old click-lock floors.
Although ceramic would have been about the same (or even a hair cheaper)... for a variety of reasons that was a "no." The main reason is the only ceramic we really liked was the 'long plank' look, and those are somewhat notorious for cracking if you have ANY give in your subfloor. Plus... I really, really, really hate laying ceramic tile. Plus the grout ALWAYS ends up stained and discolored which ALWAYS pisses me off. So no ceramic.


Comments
Post a Comment
All comments are moderated and may take a time to show up. Rude, commercial or spam posts will be passed over.