Kitchen Island: Part 1
With lots of 'watching paint dry' time on my hands, I got a start on the kitchen island.
Our kitchen island will be 3' x 6'. With a plethora of existing cabinet space and walk-in pantry, the island's focus is not on storage, but rather as an eating counter & prep space.
One corner of it does feature a cabinet, which I'm just building, that will house 2 pull-out trash cans.
Since it will be one of the key supports for a 6" butcher-block top, I stuck to 3/4" plywood for the carcass to ensure it was sufficiently 'beefy' for the weight. The face-frames are just good quality 1x lumber, and the bead-board is just a decorative sheathing.
Since it'll be painted not stained, I just used pine and was pretty 'generous' with nails, thus the spackle touch-ups. Though as usual, it's primarily held together with glue and the nails really just hold everything together while it dries.
The top frame-rails are not yet attached as they'll extend out from this to legs that will define the rest of the 3x6 space (the cabinet is roughly 18" x 48")
More progress to come...
Our kitchen island will be 3' x 6'. With a plethora of existing cabinet space and walk-in pantry, the island's focus is not on storage, but rather as an eating counter & prep space.
One corner of it does feature a cabinet, which I'm just building, that will house 2 pull-out trash cans.
Since it will be one of the key supports for a 6" butcher-block top, I stuck to 3/4" plywood for the carcass to ensure it was sufficiently 'beefy' for the weight. The face-frames are just good quality 1x lumber, and the bead-board is just a decorative sheathing.
Since it'll be painted not stained, I just used pine and was pretty 'generous' with nails, thus the spackle touch-ups. Though as usual, it's primarily held together with glue and the nails really just hold everything together while it dries.
The top frame-rails are not yet attached as they'll extend out from this to legs that will define the rest of the 3x6 space (the cabinet is roughly 18" x 48")
More progress to come...



Comments
Post a Comment
All comments are moderated and may take a time to show up. Rude, commercial or spam posts will be passed over.