Bathroom Tile is going up!

The bathroom tile (wall tile to begin with) got started today.

I'm a glutton for punishment, so I chose to start in the corner that has the medicine chest, outlet, overhead vanity light and light switch, so needed the most cutting... BUT that's done.

I'm definitely of mixed feeling about the large format (12x24) tile. I -definitely- like the look of it, and I like that each tiles covers a large area. BUT they're heavy, require special 'anti-sag' mortar (aka expensive), and even so are so heavy that you can only do a couple rows at a time.

I'd make the same choice again, but am also relieved that I won't be having to make that choice again (This is my LAST home, and this is the LAST reno we'll do on it).

I also chose porcelain tile (versus standard ceramic). Porcelain is much heavier, much harder, and super-durable. It's basically a 'forever' product. BUT it is also much harder to cut. $100 in various diamond-blades later I'm all set to cut it, but definitely a consideration.

Here da pics.


That cut for the 'vanity light' box above the medicine chest was the hardest to make. How do you cut a square hole in porcelain tile in the middle of the tile? An angle-grinder, a diamond blade and a VERY steady hand...  A cut where you can 'come in from the edge' is far easier using the tile wet-saw.


A little hard to tell, but the 'adjustable depth' electric boxes were worth every penny. I set them at what I thought was the correct depth, but they protruded about 1/4"... So instead of cursing and cutting and all sorts of problems... I just ran 'em in 1/4" and they sit totally flush. Nice!


The tile isn't actual 'marble' but the marble effect is very convincing...

All those yellow things you see are the tile spacer/levelers. A system made by QEP and a VAST improvement over the old 'cross' type spacers. You put these in behind the tile and they set the gap, then the yellow thing is a wedge that pulls them tight and evens up the tile. Once the mortar is dry, they just knock off. SO much easier than old-school tapping, buttering and resetting to level the tiles and avoid "lippage" at the edges! Cost me $40 for enough to do the whole bathroom, versus probably $10 for the old-style ones. Worth every penny.

Comments

Popular Posts