Bathroom Floor Begins...

The first part of the bathroom floor is laid... And that's just right and good - everyone should get laid on Valentine's Day.

These are all the tiles that are whole, without needing cuts. The others will go down tomorrow once the mortar on these is dry. So why do I do it that way in two parts?



I do it that way because... measuring. By laying down the 'whole' tiles first, I can measure cuts for the other tiles off 'reality' not 'theory'. Sure, I could lay out the whole floor, strike chalk-lines, calculate wall-gap, grout-gap, tile-size, etc. then cut all the tiles and do it at one go. And that would probably turn out "good enough".

But I'm a 'good enough isn't' kinda guy. This way lets me fine-tune everything so that the spacing is EXACT. Since I'm dealing with 1/16" gaps, exactness particularly matters.

Plus I want the wall-tile and floor-tile grout gaps to line up, which makes precise measuring even more important. PS - among best tools I bought was a Bosch laser-measuring tool, accurate to 1/64 inch. No tape-measure can compare.


Look along the wall and you can see that the gap isn't even. That's on purpose. The wall isn't totally square or plumb. That will be 'disguised' by the grout line. What matters much more to me is that the line in the middle of the floor is straight and even. Now look on the right-hand side of the tiles at that line: dead even. THAT is why I do it this way.

Oh yeah, no separate post about it... But the wall-tile got grouted yesterday. Looks good!


Comments

Popular Posts