I am SO DONE with grout.
In the few months since I laid our new bathroom floor, we've had an issue.
The issue was the grout. Grout is a finicky mistress. I grouted half the floor from the windows in no problem. But apparently the other half - the half by the door - I got the grout just a HAIR too thin.
That resulted in the grout cracking and not holding. End result, a tile next to the shower got moisture under it and got loose.
Or, more precisely, HALF of it got loose. The other half remained firmly mortared in - to the point that it broke when I tried getting it out... and popped loose the tile next to it. Both of them OF COURSE custom-cut tiles along the shower-door's curve.
Sigh.
Okay, so I pulled up the loose tiles, chiseled out the old mortar and grout, cut new tiles and re-mortared them. And we wait.
24 hours later, time to grout...
Except no. To hell with that. Of all the tile floors I've ever laid, the grout has -always- been the problem. The hardest thing to put in, messy, nasty, the most finicky, and the most likely to fail.
Enough! I went to Home Depot and got tile-caulk - the stuff you're supposed to use around the edges of a tile job ANYWAY. Silicone based, so waterproof (grout is actually NOT waterproof), comes in a tube. I put it in a gun, applied, smoothed and removed the excess with paint thinner... BAM. Done. Looks great, fully waterproof, flexible forever.
I will never grout again.
Comments
Post a Comment
All comments are moderated and may take a time to show up. Rude, commercial or spam posts will be passed over.